© 2024 WSHU
NPR News & Classical Music
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
We received reports that some iPhone users with the latest version of iOS cannot play audio via our website.
While we work to fix the issue, we recommend downloading the WSHU app.

Suffolk County To Launch Bus Camera Program

Office of the Suffolk County Executive
Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone says school buses will catch vehicles who attempt to pass them at bus stops.

Suffolk County will launch a school bus camera program next year to catch drivers who illegally pass stopped buses. About 6,000 school buses will get enforcement cameras installed on their “Stop” arms to monitor up to eight lanes of traffic.

Drivers who get caught passing a stopped bus will first get a warning. After that, fines start at $250. County Executive Steve Bellone says data from similar programs across the country prove they’re effective at reducing stop-arm violations.

“Motorists who violate this law and are caught, never do it again. More than 90% who violate this law never do it again after they receive a violation.”

Bellone says tech company BusPatrol will pay for the rollout and receive 45% of the ticket revenues. The cash-strapped county will get the other 55%. Bay Shore Schools Superintendent Joseph Bond says his district’s pilot program revealed nearly 100 cars illegally pass a stopped school bus every day.

Joseph Bond is the Bay Shore Schools Superintendent. He says his district’s pilot program revealed between 90 and 100 cars illegally pass a stopped bus.

“That's 90 to 100 chances for one of our precious students to be taken away from us every single day.”

Desiree reports on the lives of military service members, veterans, and their families for WSHU as part of the American Homefront project. Born and raised in Connecticut, she now calls Long Island home.