WSHU actively solicits gifts and grants to further the mission of WSHU Public Radio. Where there is the potential for controversy if certain gifts are accepted, WSHU has adopted the following Gift Acceptance Policy in accordance with Sacred Heart University’s Office of Advancement.
For the purposes of this policy, gifts can be monetary or in-kind goods and services.
When evaluating whether to solicit or accept gifts, WSHU will consider the following factors:
- Values. Whether the acceptance of the gift compromises any of the core values of SHU & WSHU.
- Compatibility. Whether there is compatibility between the intent of the donor and the WSHU’s use of the gift.
- Public Relationships. Whether acceptance of the gift will damage the reputation of WSHU and SHU.
- Primary Benefit. Whether the primary benefit is to WSHU versus the donor.
- Consistency. Whether acceptance of the gift is consistent with prior practices of WSHU and SHU.
- Form of Gift. Whether the gift is offered in a form that WSHU can use without incurring substantial expense or difficulty.
- Effect on Future Giving. Whether the gift will encourage or discourage future gifts.
- Editorial Independence. Whether the gift will breech the firewall, established by management of the WSHU newsroom, thereby impacting the editorial independence.
- Returning gift or revoking naming rights. Should there be a controversial issue with a donor, corporation or foundation, WSHU — in consultation with SHU Advancement — has the right to return a gift or revoke naming rights or name mentions associated with the gift. The primary consideration is the impact of the controversy and the gift on WSHU and SHU, on WSHU’s editorial independence and on future giving. Communications regarding the return of a gift or removal of naming rights or name mentions will be discussed with the donor, corporation or foundation.
All decisions to solicit and/or accept potentially controversial gifts will be made by the WSHU General Manager in consultation with Michael Iannazzi, SVP Marketing & Communications and SHU University Advancement. The primary consideration will be the impact of the gift on WSHU and Sacred Heart University.