PROFILES IN FOLK |
With host Steve Winters
First broadcast November 29, 2002
Songs for Thanksgiving & Chanukah/Two New Releases
10 p.m. to Midnight Host: Steve Winters
This is usually a two-hour show devoted to universal themes and giving thanks for our blessings. But, this year Chanukah starts this night, the night after Thanksgiving. Rather than program Chanukah music, however, as I usually do, I offered a bit of Klezmer music as well as a provocative new release from Laura Wetzler on songs of the Jewish mystics.
Plus, lo and behold, we also ended up with two new CD releases that haven’t yet been sent out to radio stations. Both the Celtic super group Cherish the Ladies and songwriter extraordinaire Jack Hardy will be appearing in Connecticut during the next two weeks.
- Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Joel Mabus, “Come Thou Font Of Every Blessing”, Western Passage, Fossil
- Stanley Greenthal, “All Roads”, All Roads, Madrona Ring
- Anne Mills, “Follow That Road”, Angle Of The Light, Flying Fish
- A. Paul Ortega, “The Traveling Song”, Music Of New Mexico/Native American Traditions, Smithsonian/Folkways
- Sharon Burch, “Welcoming Home”, Music Of New Mexico/Native American Traditions, Smithsonian/Folkways
- Georgia Wettlin-Larsen, “Turkey In The Straw”, Wood That Sings, Smithsonian/Folkways
- Bill Stevens, “Eagle Island Blues/Athapaskan Love Song”, Wood That Sings, Smithsonian/Folkways
- Planxty, “Thousands Are Sailing”, Thousands Are Sailing, Shanachie
- Natalie Merchant, “Motherland”, Motherland, Elektra
- Paul Kamm & Eleanore MacDonald, “Lost In America”, Live, Freewheel
- Metropolitan Klezmer, “Uskdar Taxim/Terke In Amerike”, Mosaic Persuasion, Rhythm Media Records
- Beyond The Pale, “Roumanian Fantasy”, Routes, Borealis
- Laura Wetzler, “Klezmer Hechalot”, “Jacob Wakes Up”, “L’cha Dodi”, “Yom Zeh L’Yisrael”, Kabbalah Music: Songs Of The Jewish Mystics, Nervy Girl Records
- Cherish The Ladies, “The Castle Of Dromore”, “Henry Roe McDermott/The Holly And The Berry”, “Ding Dong Merrily On High/The Cordial Jig/Old Apples In Winter/Con Cassidy’s”, On Christmas Night, Big Mammy Records
- Jack Hardy, “Faded Old Rose”, “Singer’s Lament”, Bandolier, Great Divide Records
*Webmaster's note: Due to copyright laws effective on Jan 1, 2002 we regret that we can not post play lists for dates with archived audio. We will delay the posting of the weekly play list for 2 weeks while the archived show is available. This will not apply to portions of shows containing live guests where the guests have given permission to post a play list along with the audio.