PROFILES IN FOLK |
With host Steve Winters
First broadcast June 30, 2000
Celebrating America's Birthday
Next Tuesday is the 224th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of
Independence in Philadelphia, certainly one of the most important holidays
that we as Americans celebrate. It's the story of how a group of radical
thinkers changed the face of the world. The Declaration is the core of our
basic beliefs, leading to a far more moderate U.S. Constitution.
We've kept the opening patriotic tribute to a minimum this year, choosing
to focus on the show's other components: songs of Revolutionary times, a
brief glimpse at three contemporary songwriters whose songs speak directly
to the American experience, and three sets that celebrate the musical
diversity of America. If the show seems long, it is. I took the freedom
WSHU allows me and extended the program an extra 30 minutes. Happy Fourth
Artist, "Title", Album, Label
- Various, "Fife And Drum Medley", Songs Of Rebels And Redcoats, National
- Eric von Schmidt, "My Country 'Tis Of Thee", 2nd Right, 3rd Row, Poppy
- El McMeen, "The Rights Of Man", Acoustic Guitar, Piney Ridge
- Tony Trischka, "Yankee Doodle", Minstrel Banjo Style, Rounder
- "Fish And Tea"
- "In Good Old Colony Days"
- "Fare Thee Well, You Sweethearts"
- "The Yankee Privateer"
- "One Morning In May"
Various artists, Songs Of Rebels And Redcoats, National Geographic
- David Massengill, "The Great American Dream", The Return, Plump
- Tom Russell, "The Man From God Knows Where", "Throwin' Horseshoes At The
Moon", "Love Abides", The Man From God Knows Where, Hightone
- Peter Yarrow, "There But For Fortune", What's That I Hear/The Songs Of Phil
Ochs, Sliced Bread
- Magpie, "Power And The Glory", What's That I Hear, Sliced Bread
- David Massengill, "Number One In America", Coming Up For Air, Flying Fish
- Johnson Boys, "Violin Blues"
- "Peg Leg" Howell & His Gang, "Beaver Slide Rag"
- Whistler & His Jug Band, "Pig Meat Blues"
- Jack Kelly & His South Memphis Jug Band, "Highway No. 61 Blues"
- Memphis Jug Band, "Memphis Shakedown"
- Louie Bluie & Ted Bogan,"Ted's Stomp"
All tracks from Violin, Sing The Blues For Me, Old Hat Records
- Beausoleil, "Les Flames d'enfer", Louisiana Spice, Rounder
- Geno Delafose & French Rockin' Boogie, "Bye Bye Mon Neg", Zydeco, Putumayo
- Steve Reilly & Mamou Playboys, "La Danse de Mardi Gras", Louisiana Spice,
- Magnolia Sisters, "La Valse Que J'Aime", "Le Pays Des Etrangers", "Mon
Dernier Bonsoir", "Chers Amis", Chers Amis, Rounder
Warning: include(/export/home/www/wshu/includes/footer.inc) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /export/home/www/wshu/profiles/2000/pr000630.php on line 68
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/export/home/www/wshu/includes/footer.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/coolstack/php5/lib/php') in /export/home/www/wshu/profiles/2000/pr000630.php on line 68